My husband's grandmother passed this recipe on to us, and it's just wonderful—especially with a basket of warm, fresh bread on the side. This soup freezes well. —Wendy Wilkins, Prattville, Alabama
Featured In: 77 Foods to Eat When You Have a Cold
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2-1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1 can (32 ounces) tomato juice
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients except the cheese. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings (10 cups).
Originally published as Carrot Chowder in Country Ground Beef 1993, p20
Reviews for Carrot Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 28, 2012
"Love Love Love this recipie! I like to make with left over beef roast instead and to save time you can use frozen shredded carrots from the store."