Carrot Casserole for Three Recipe
“I use carrots dug fresh from our garden to make this colorful casserole,” writes Blaine Baker from Kelseyville, California. “Its creamy, buttery texture makes folks 'root' for this comforting side dish.”
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute green pepper and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in jalapeno if desired, parsley, savory and carrots. Transfer to a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 4. In a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until toasted and browned. Sprinkle over casserole.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 3 servings.
2/3 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 183 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 377 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Carrot Casserole for Three
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC