Carrot Cake with Buttermilk Glaze Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well-drained
- 2 cups very finely grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- BUTTERMILK GLAZE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1. Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside. Beat eggs in bowl until lemon-colored; beat in the sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture; stir in the pineapple, carrots, nuts and coconut. Pour into lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For frosting, combine all ingredients except vanilla in saucepan; bring to boil. Boil 5-6 minutes, until thick and syrupy; add vanilla. Poke holes in top of cake with toothpick or fork; pour glaze over top while cake is still warm. Serve warm or store in refrigerator. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 371 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 306 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Carrot Cake with Buttermilk Glaze
"Just baked this cake yesterday. I thought it was very good, though the cake was not very sweet which surprised me. I followed the direction just as written. I liked the addition of the buttermilk glaze."
"Fantabulous cake - made it last night and had a piece warm, yummmm, and equally scrumptious this morning. Didn't add the coconut, but all else, according to the recipe.And the buttermilk glaze is heavenly, especially warm."
"The best carrot cake ever made."
"This recipe is so moist! It is a must have dessert for all of our family gatherings."
"was a bit sweet but loved it"
"This is so moist and delicious. My husband gave it 5 stars."
"Fantastic recipe! My family loved it!"
"Delicious! I just made this cake for a family birthday. The recipient loves carrot cake but I wanted to try a non-traditional version. The batter isn't very thick but it comes out just fine. Since I was using a dark pan, I turned down my oven a little, and the cake was done in just under 55 minutes. Instead of putting the nuts in the batter I toasted them and sprinkled them on top so the kids could removed them if they didn't want them. I also omitted the coconut. If you want you can add raisins to this, I'm sure. For the glaze, I reduced the sugar to a generous 3/4 cup. There is so much sugar in this recipe that you won't even notice. This recipe is very similar to a fruit cocktail cake that my husband's mother makes him (his all time favorite), so I knew I couldn't go wrong making this one!"
"Indescribably delicious! My neighbor flipped over this cake! It is a little too sweet, so next time I may try to cut down on the sugar in the cake, but THIS IS A KEEPER!"