This is a delicious cake-it's so moist! It's great for taking to picnics in summertime, since it travels well. It also keeps for several days in the refrigerator.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well-drained
- 2 cups very finely grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- BUTTERMILK GLAZE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside. Beat eggs in bowl until lemon-colored; beat in the sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture; stir in the pineapple, carrots, nuts and coconut. Pour into lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For frosting, combine all ingredients except vanilla in saucepan; bring to boil. Boil 5-6 minutes, until thick and syrupy; add vanilla. Poke holes in top of cake with toothpick or fork; pour glaze over top while cake is still warm. Serve warm or store in refrigerator. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Cake with Buttermilk Glaze in Country August/September 1990, p47
Reviews for Carrot Cake with Buttermilk Glaze
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review