Carrot Cake Jam
For a change of pace from berry jams, try this unique option. Spread on a bagel with cream cheese, it tastes almost as good as real carrot cake!Rachelle Stratton, Rock Springs, Wyoming
64 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Process: 5 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled ripe pears
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 6-1/2 cups sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pears
- are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in
- Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute,
- stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; skim off foam.
- Ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in.
- headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process in
- a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes. Yield: 8 half-pints.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 88 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium,