- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled ripe pears
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 6-1/2 cups sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until pears are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into eight hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 8 half-pints.
Reviews for Carrot Cake Jam
Sort By :
"Has anyone tried using apples instead of pears in this recipe?"
"I made this exactly as directed and it is waaaaay too sweet. I would definitely suggest you experiment with less sugar."
"Not sure about freezer canning part, however you can remove air bubbles by using a bubble remover, which you can find here. http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Bubble-Remover-Head-Space/dp/B00CAXLIF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384715320&sr=8-1&keywords=canning+bubble+remover Although if your like me, I like to save money. So I bought the whole set which you can find here: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-09995-Function-Canning-Kit/dp/B001V9K8A6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384715320&sr=8-4&keywords=canning+bubble+remover Either way, all you do is when you pour your jam, jelly, etc. into the jar, you take the bubble remover and just gently slide it around the inside wall of the jar between the jelly and the jar. This helps create a seal and reduces the chance of the seal breaking at a later time. Hope this helps."