Carrot Cake Doughnuts Recipe
For an easy doughnut recipe which everyone will love, I make these doughnuts. I love carrot cake so I wanted to carry the flavor over to these doughnuts. My experiments worked and these doughnuts are favorite in my family.—Tamera Danforth, The Dalles, Oregon
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon each salt, ground nutmeg and cloves
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cloves; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in carrots.
- 2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange juice, carrot and vanilla; drizzle over warm doughnuts. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 doughnut equals 244 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC