Carrot Broccoli Casserole
This colorful side dish feels right at home with any entree. The veggies are coated in a buttery cheese sauce, then layered with cracker crumbs. Even kids who turn up their noses at broccoli will eat this up.
-Nancy Horsburgh, Everett, Ontario
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) baby carrots
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, chopped or 6 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 40 crackers)
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add broccoli; cover and simmer 6-8 minutes longer or until
- vegetables are crisp-tender. drain and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook and stir cheese and 1/4 cup butter until
- smooth. Stir in broccoli and carrots until combined.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle a third
- of the mixture in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with half the
- vegetable mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining crumb
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated
- through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 397 calories, 29 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 727 mg sodium,