Carrot Broccoli Casserole Recipe
This colorful side dish feels right at home with any entree. The veggies are coated in a buttery cheese sauce, then layered with cracker crumbs. Even kids who turn up their noses at broccoli will eat this up. -Nancy Horsburgh, Everett, Ontario
- 1 package (16 ounces) baby carrots
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, chopped or 6 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 40 crackers)
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add broccoli; cover and simmer 6-8 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. drain and set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, cook and stir cheese and 1/4 cup butter until smooth. Stir in broccoli and carrots until combined.
- 3. Melt the remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle a third of the mixture in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with half the vegetable mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 397 calories, 29 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 727 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC