Carrot Bread Recipe
This lovely moist quick bread from Connie Simon of Reed City, Michigan is flecked with crunchy walnuts and colorful shredded carrot. "For variety, I sometimes substitute a cup of shredded raw zucchini for the carrot or add a half cup of drained crushed pineapple," Connie says.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:10 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Coat an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a bowl, combine the sugar, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, combine the applesauce, egg substitute and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in carrots and walnuts.
- 2. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (10 slices).
One slice equals 182 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 439 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC