Carrot Bread Recipe
This lovely moist quick bread from Connie Simon of Reed City, Michigan is flecked with crunchy walnuts and colorful shredded carrot. "For variety, I sometimes substitute a cup of shredded raw zucchini for the carrot or add a half cup of drained crushed pineapple," Connie says.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Coat an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a bowl, combine the sugar, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, combine the applesauce, egg substitute and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in carrots and walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (10 slices).
Originally published as Carrot Bread in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p21
Reviews for Carrot Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 28, 2010
This recipe is a winner. I double the recipe and make two loaves at once. It freezes very well. I did reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup because I don't like it too sweet.
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >