Carrot Apple Soup
"On a brisk fall day, nothing is more appealing than a steaming bowl of this soup," says field editor Ruby Williams of Bogalusa, Louisiana. "Even though it's lower in fat, it still has old-time goodness."
7 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat margarine
- 8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large saucepan, melt the margarine. Add carrots, apples, onion
- and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, sage, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender. Remove
- bay leaf. Cool soup for 5 minutes. Puree one-third at a time in a
- blender or food processor. Return to the saucepan; cover and cook
- over medium until heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving equals 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat; also, 90 calories, 131 mg sodium, 4 mg cholesterol, 16 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 3 gm fat.