Carrot-Apple Side Dish
Whenever this dish makes an appearance at a family gathering or church potluck, folks always comment on the interesting combination of carrots and apple. Then they ask for the recipe!—Martina Knowles, Grand Forks, North Dakota
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups diced carrots (about 6 medium)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup diced peeled apple
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a saucepan, cook carrots in water until crisp-tender; drain. Add
- butter, brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon; mix well. Stir in
- apple. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water; stir into carrot mixture. Bring
- to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Simmer,
- uncovered, for 2 minutes or until glazed, stirring constantly.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 122 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 51 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.