Carrot 'N' Celery Amandine
"When I prepare a rather plain entree like baked chicken for dinner, I try to make an interesting side dish like this one," writes Carol Gaus of Itasca, Illinois. "The crisp-tender veggies, seasoned with soy sauce and garlic, get added crunch from the toasted almonds.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/4 cups sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute or
- until tender. Stir in the water, soy sauce and sugar. Bring to a
- boil. Add carrots, onion and celery; cook until crisp-tender.
- Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 133 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.