Carrie's Famous Turkey Recipe
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 medium apple, quartered
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; Combine the butter, garlic and minced sage and rosemary; rub under turkey skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- 2. Loosely stuff turkey with onion, apple, sage leaves and rosemary sprigs. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes; remove and discard onion, apple and herbs before carving. Yield: 14 servings.
8 ounces cooked turkey equals 622 calories, 35 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 262 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 72 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer