Caroling Fortune Cookies Recipe
- 12 strips of green and red glossy paper (about 5-1/2 inches x 1/2 inch)
- Nontoxic black marker
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Print Christmas carol titles or other holiday wishes on paper strips with marker; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add sugars; beat well. Stir in the flour, oil, butter, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Drop 6 tablespoonfuls, about 3 in. apart, onto a greased and floured baking sheet. With the back of spoon, spread each into a 3-1/2-in. circle. (Bake only six cookies at a time.) Bake at 300° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Loosen cookies from baking sheet. Bake 1 minute longer to soften. Remove one cookie at a time, leaving others in the oven (cookies must be warm to shape). Slowly fold cookie in half; insert a fortune. Fold in half again, bringing points together. Place in muffin cups to cool and hold shape. Repeat with remaining cookies. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Caroling Fortune Cookies in Country Woman November/December 1997, p22
Reviews for Caroling Fortune Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review