Caroling Fortune Cookies
Darlene Markel's devised a lucky way to greet the season—with her holiday fortune cookies! "I make regular fortune cookies, then tuck yuletide wishes inside. They make a fun dessert for a Christmas party," she pens from Sublimity, Oregon.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 12 strips of green and red glossy paper (about 5-1/2 inches x 1/2 inch)
- Nontoxic black marker
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pinch salt
- Print Christmas carol titles or other holiday wishes on paper strips
- with marker; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add sugars; beat well.
- Stir in the flour, oil, butter, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Drop 6 tablespoonfuls, about 3 in. apart, onto a greased and floured
- baking sheet. With the back of spoon, spread each into a 3-1/2-in.
- circle. (Bake only six cookies at a time.) Bake at 300° for 6-8
- minutes or until lightly browned.
- Loosen cookies from baking sheet. Bake 1 minute longer to soften.
- Remove one cookie at a time, leaving others in the oven (cookies
- must be warm to shape). Slowly fold cookie in half; insert a