- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken base
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split, optional
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker; add vinegar mixture. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Reserve 1 cup cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Shred chicken with two forks. Return meat and reserved cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. If desired, serve chicken mixture on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Carolina-Style Vinegar BBQ Chicken
Sort By :
"This is a NC recipe. But my mother used brown sugar, cidervinegar and smoke flavoring all to taste. You cook the chickenjust until done and remove it then cook the juice etc. downuntil it's kinda like a sauce then add meat back in.. It's reallygood but the same recipe used for pulled pork is alot better.With pork leave the meat in while cooking juice down. Try ityou'll love it. Mom always served slaw and dill pickles on awarmed bun with optional hot sauce. SUPER GOOD!"
"Chicken had good flavor but the chicken turned out mushy. I think I did 2 things that contributed to the chicken beig over cooked. (1) I set the crockpot on a timer for cooking later in the day while I was at work. The chicken probably started cooking while sitting in the vinegar mixture. (2) I cooked the full 5 hrs. Next time I will cook immediately and monitor the progress."
"A different spin on BBQ that I had never experienced, I only cooked the chicken about 3 hr 15 min since my crockpot cooks faster than most recipes call for, very tasty but a little drier without the BBQ sauce."
"Put this in the slow cooker yesterday morning, really, really good. I have never had Carolina vinegar bbq before, but had heard of it, and wanted to try it, this is definitely a keeper! I doubled the recipe, and followed it exactly, really delicious, but not quite as flavorful as I was expecting, although still awesome! Not going to double it next time and see if there's a difference. So good, I brought some for lunch today!"
"I made this twice, and the first time was great, the second, not so good. I used bone in breasts both times, but I used more chicken the second time and didn't add to the liquid. Still good, and I will make it again."