Carolina-Style Vinegar BBQ Chicken Recipe
I live in Georgia, but I appreciate the tangy, sweet and slightly spicy taste of Carolina Vinegar Chicken. I make my version in the slow cooker and when you walk in the door after being gone all day, the aroma will knock you off your feet! —Ramona Parris, Acworth, Georgia
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken base
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split, optional
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker; add vinegar mixture. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Reserve 1 cup cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Shred chicken with two forks. Return meat and reserved cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. If desired, serve chicken mixture on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Carolina-Style Vinegar BBQ Chicken in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p72
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Carolina-Style Vinegar BBQ Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review