- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken base
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split, optional
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker; add vinegar mixture. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Reserve 1 cup cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Shred chicken with two forks. Return meat and reserved cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. If desired, serve chicken mixture on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Carolina-Style Vinegar BBQ Chicken
Sort By :
"Put this in the slow cooker yesterday morning, really, really good. I have never had Carolina vinegar bbq before, but had heard of it, and wanted to try it, this is definitely a keeper! I doubled the recipe, and followed it exactly, really delicious, but not quite as flavorful as I was expecting, although still awesome! Not going to double it next time and see if there's a difference. So good, I brought some for lunch today!"
"I made this twice, and the first time was great, the second, not so good. I used bone in breasts both times, but I used more chicken the second time and didn't add to the liquid. Still good, and I will make it again."
"This is the real deal. The only thing I will do different is use chicken quarters with bone and skin just to give it that rustic layer of flavor in it."