Carolina-Style Pork Barbecue Recipe
I am originally from North Carolina (where swine is divine) and this recipe for the slow cooker is a family favorite. My husband swears my authentic Carolina ‘cue is the best BBQ he has ever eaten! —Kathryn Ransom Williams, Sparks, NV
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:14 servings
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14 hamburger buns, split
- 1-3/4 pounds deli coleslaw
- 1. Cut roast into quarters. Mix brown sugar, salt, paprika and pepper; rub over meat. Place meat and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and seasonings; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove roast; cool slightly. Reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Shred pork with two forks. Return pork and reserved juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on buns with coleslaw. Yield: 14 servings.
1 sandwich equals 453 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 889 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC