Carnival Caramel Apples
With four kids (one child whose birthday is November 1), we celebrate Halloween in style around our house. These caramel apples are a tried-and-true favorite year after year. —Gail Prather, Bethel, Minnesota
10-12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- Dash salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 to 12 Popsicle sticks
- 10 to 12 medium tart apples, washed and dried
- 1 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter; add the brown sugar, corn
- syrup and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes
- to a boil, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in milk. Cook and stir until a
- candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the
- heat; stir in vanilla.
- Insert Popsicle sticks into apples. Dip each apple into hot caramel
- mixture; turn to coat. Dip bottom of apples into peanuts. Place on
- greased waxed paper until set. Yield: 10-12 apples.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 526 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 94 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.