Carnitas with Orzo and Peppers in Red Mole Sauce Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1-1/2 to 2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red mole sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) quesadilla or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1. Place pork in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Remove pork from oven. Increase oven setting to 350°.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until crisp-tender. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan, combine the orzo, peppers and onion.
- 3. In a small saucepan, whisk the chicken broth, mole sauce, tomato paste and remaining salt. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Pour over orzo and vegetables. Stir in pork; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- 4. FREEZE OPTION: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
1.333 cups equals 559 calories, 26 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 1,509 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Reviews for Carnitas with Orzo and Peppers in Red Mole Sauce
"For a working family....I'd make it over the w/e and serve later in the week. It was quite tasty."
"very good recipe love mexican food. I also live in Beloit W. Thanks for the good food."