- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Dash liquid smoke, optional
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large unpeeled red potatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Whole wheat tortillas or hot cooked brown rice, lime wedges and chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. If desired, stir in liquid smoke. Add pork, potatoes and onion; toss to combine. Cook, covered, 7-9 hours or until pork is tender.
- Discard bay leaf; skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork slightly with two forks. If desired, serve with tortillas, lime and cilantro. Yield: 12 servings (about 2 quarts).
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Carne Guisada
"I come to Taste of Home for simple and down home recipes like this. I halved the recipe and that worked out just fine. I love the taste of potatoes and pork like this. Very tasty. Thanks for sharing."
"My husband and I loved this recipe! It was a little spicy for us on its own, so we made burritos. We stuffed flour tortillas with a generous portion of the shredded pork and potatoes and included a layer of pinto beans, sour cream, and cheddar cheese to reduce the heat."
"This had good flavor. This reminds me of a carnitas recipe that my family actually prefers."
"Made this a few weeks ago and YUM! We loved it. The leftovers were even better! Planning on making again this week for family coming to town."
"Prepared this dish for dinner last night, overall the flavors were good, but you definitely need to add more salt. It turns out bland with the recommended serving. Overall though it was pretty good."