Carne Guisada Recipe
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Dash liquid smoke, optional
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large unpeeled red potatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Whole wheat tortillas or hot cooked brown rice, lime wedges and chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. If desired, stir in liquid smoke. Add pork, potatoes and onion; toss to combine. Cook, covered, 7-9 hours or until pork is tender.
- 2. Discard bay leaf; skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork slightly with two forks. If desired, serve with tortillas, lime and cilantro. Yield: 12 servings (about 2 quarts).
2/3 cup (calculated without tortillas) equals 261 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1 starch.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.