I had something similar on vacation and recreated this lighter version at home. It takes me back to the islands every time I make it. Try grilling your shrimp for more beachy flavor.—Lauren Katz, Ashburn, Virginia
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 medium mango, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Lime wedges, optional
- For avocado cream, mash avocado with sour cream and salt until smooth. In a small saucepan, combine beans, pineapple, mango and salsa; heat through, stirring occasionally. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Toss shrimp with jerk seasoning. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Divide rice and bean mixture among four bowls. Top with shrimp and green onions. Serve with avocado cream and, if desired, lime wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Caribbean Shrimp & Rice Bowl in Country Woman February/March 2016
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Caribbean Shrimp & Rice Bowl
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review