Caribbean Potato Soup Recipe
An interesting blend of veggies including okra, kale and black-eyed peas go into this bright and hearty soup. No kale on hand? Use spinach instead.—Crystal Bruns, Iliff, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the garlic, ginger and spices; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in broth and potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in kale and okra. Return to a boil; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until potato is tender. Add the milk, tomatoes, peas and lime juice; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 213 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 954 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC