Caribbean Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup thawed pineapple juice concentrate
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup rum
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 cups cubed peeled mango
- 6 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Lettuce leaves
- 1. In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil in batches on all sides. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Add the pineapple juice concentrate, soy sauce, water, rum, honey, ginger, garlic, pepper, allspice and salt to the skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over ribs.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in red peppers. Top with the pineapple, mango and onions (do not stir). Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through.
- 4. Remove beef mixture to a large bowl; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve beef mixture on lettuce; drizzle with gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup beef mixture with 1/3 cup gravy: 450 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1004mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein
Reviews for Caribbean Beef Short Ribs
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.