Caribbean Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup thawed pineapple juice concentrate
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup rum
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 cups cubed peeled mango
- 6 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Lettuce leaves
- In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil in batches on all sides. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Add the pineapple juice concentrate, soy sauce, water, rum, honey, ginger, garlic, pepper, allspice and salt to the skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in red peppers. Top with the pineapple, mango and onions (do not stir). Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Remove beef mixture to a large bowl; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve beef mixture on lettuce; drizzle with gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now