Caribbean Beef Short Ribs Recipe
This is a fantastic change of pace from a typical slow cooker stew. It combination of flavorsshort ribs, rum and fruit makes it feel like an exotic Caribbean dish. Make sure to leave the mangoes and pineapple on top of the beef, instead of stirring then in, so that their color will stay bright yellow. When removing the mixture from the slow cooker, take out the fruit first and place in a separate bowl from the meat to avoid coating them with the with brown sauce. I like to also serve it with rice.Loanne Chiu, Fort Worth, Texas
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup thawed pineapple juice concentrate
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup rum
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 cups cubed peeled mango
- 6 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Lettuce leaves
- In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil in batches on all sides. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Add the pineapple juice concentrate, soy sauce, water, rum, honey, ginger, garlic, pepper, allspice and salt to the skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in red peppers. Top with the pineapple, mango and onions (do not stir). Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Remove beef mixture to a large bowl; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve beef mixture on lettuce; drizzle with gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Caribbean Beef Short Ribs in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p43
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Caribbean Beef Short Ribs(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review