Cardamom Twist Recipe
These golden twists have a soft, tender texture and the perfect amount of cardamom flavor in every bite. Slices are especially good with a cream cheese spread or fresh honey butter. Carla Miller, Pasco, Washington
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cardamom pods (about 40)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup water. Transfer carrots and reserved water to a small food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Remove seeds from cardamom pods; coarsely crush seeds. Add seeds, sugar, oil, salt, pureed carrots and 2-1/2 cups flour to yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds; shape each into a 25-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends together, forming a round loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat egg white and water; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (18 slices).
1 slice equals 195 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 269 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC