This golden bread has a soft, tender texture and the perfect amount of cardamom flavor in every bite. Slices are especially good with a cream cheese spread or fresh honey butter. Carla Miller, Pasco, Washington
- 1/2 cup medium carrot, sliced
- 4 teaspoons cardamom pods
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add carrot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; cool slightly. Transfer carrot and reserved cooking liquid to a small food processor; process until smooth.
- Remove seeds from cardamom pods; discard pods. Coarsely crush seeds with a mortar and pestle.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, salt, pureed carrot, yeast mixture and 2-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 25-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Pinch ends together, forming a round loaf.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and water until blended; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (18 slices).
Originally published as Cardamom Twist in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p155
Reviews for Cardamom Twist
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review