Cardamom Tea Bread Recipe
A cross between pound cake and fruitcake, this bread is especially nice for folks who dislike the heaviness of regular fruitcake. My family enjoys thick slices for breakfast on Christmas morning.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mixed candied fruit
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1. Combine candied fruit and 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar for 1 minute. Add the eggs, milk, orange juice, baking powder, salt, cardamom and remaining flour. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in fruit.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 198 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC