Cardamom Tea Bread Recipe
A cross between pound cake and fruitcake, this bread is especially nice for folks who dislike the heaviness of regular fruitcake. My family enjoys thick slices for breakfast on Christmas morning.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mixed candied fruit
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1. Combine candied fruit and 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar for 1 minute. Add the eggs, milk, orange juice, baking powder, salt, cardamom and remaining flour. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in fruit.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 198 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC