Cardamom Swedish Rusks Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, cream and extract. Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture (batter will be thick).
- 2. Spoon into three greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- 3. Remove to a cutting board; cut each loaf into nine slices with a serrated knife. Place cut side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices; bake 10 minutes longer or until crisp and golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 27 cookies.
1 serving (2 each) equals 305 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 287 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Cardamom Swedish Rusks
"These buttery, tender, biscotti-like cookies are great with coffee or tea. The recipe makes a generous amount of rusks and they freeze well."