Cardamom Sugar Cookies Recipe
The warm flavor of cardamom spices up these classic sugar cookies. They’re the ideal treat for your homemade goody basket. Tint the glaze to fit the season.—Darina Jurasek, Salmon Arm, British Columbia
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Coarse sugar and/or edible glitter
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cardamom, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. snowflake-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and milk. Pipe over cookies and sprinkle with coarse sugar and/or glitter. Let dry completely. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Cardamom Sugar Cookies
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC