Cardamom Crescents Recipe
A hint of cardamom adds nice flavor to these tender golden rolls. They're my grandchildren's favorites, so I make the crescents all year long.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:72 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, cardamom, salt and remaining sugar. Add the eggs and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to for a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six pieces. Roll each piece into a 10-in. circle; brush with melted butter. Cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up each wedge from the wide end; place pointed end down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends down to form crescents. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Brush with melted butter if desired. Yield: 6 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 79 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC