- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, cardamom, salt and remaining sugar. Add the eggs and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to for a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into six pieces. Roll each piece into a 10-in. circle; brush with melted butter. Cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up each wedge from the wide end; place pointed end down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends down to form crescents. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Brush with melted butter if desired. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Cardamom Crescents
Sort By :
"I found this a few years ago in the Country Woman Christmas issue. I decided to try it, since I had not used cardamom before, and I had offered to bring rolls to my new in-laws' Christmas dinner. This makes 6 dozen rolls, so I knew there would be plenty for our large family. These have become a huge hit, and I've been making them every Christmas since. One of my toddler grandchildren would eat nothing else last year. Definitely give these a try!! They are a little bit of work, but totally worth it, especially for that special occasion!"