Cardamom Cinnamon Knots Recipe
Crushed cardamom seeds and cinnamon season these yummy yeast rolls. Writes Vivian Donner from Jackson, Michigan, "My sister and I translated all the pinches and dashes in our mom's instructions to get this recipe."
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 18 cardamom pods
- 1-1/3 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Remove seeds from cardamom pods; coarsely crush seeds. Add the seeds, milk, butter, shortening, eggs, salt, remaining sugar and 5 cups of flour to yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape each portion into 18 balls. Roll each into an 8-in. rope; coat with cinnamon. Tie in a knot and tuck ends under. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine icing ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 204 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Cardamom Cinnamon Knots
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC