Cardamom Braids Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk. Add 3/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, butter, cardamom, salt, 3 cups of flour and remaining warm milk; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide into six pieces. Shape each piece into a 16-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Pinch ends firmly and tuck under. Repeat with remaining three ropes on another baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Brush braids with milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 135 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Cardamom Braids
"This was much more dense than I expected. Maybe it needs more yeast. I make bread often and this much flour usually takes more yeast."