Cardamom Braid with Almonds Recipe
"This version of Finnish 'pulla' has always been an important part of our family celebrations," shares Doris Lystila of Townsend, Massachusetts. "This recipe is special because it can be made in a bread machine. Cooks who do not deal well with yeast dough will find that this adaptation is just what they've been looking for."
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a parchment-lined baking sheet; braid. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sugar and almonds. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Cardamom Braid in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p13
Reviews for Cardamom Braid with Almonds
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 17, 2010
Delicious! I used the full amount of Cardamom. I will definitely make this recipe again. Thanks.