Caraway blends beautifully with celery seed, nutmeg and sage in this tender yeast bread from DeEtta Rasmussen, a field editor in Fort Madison, Iowa. It's bound to become a favorite!
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter, egg, caraway seeds, salt, celery seed, sage, nutmeg and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 22-27 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Caraway Yeast Bread in Taste of Home April/May 2007, p24
Reviews for Caraway Yeast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 11, 2009
"Makes a large light loaf. Taste is delicious. If you want something a little different - try this one."