Caraway Seed Rye Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups rye flour
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add brown sugar, caraway, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. Stir in rye flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape each half into a ball; place in two greased 8-in. round baking pans or ovenproof skillets. Flatten balls to a 6-in. diameter. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 126 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Caraway Seed Rye Bread
"Followed exactly as stated and boy I became a superstar at home and at work! Very good recipe! The bread is moist and the caraway is not overpowering."