Caraway Seed Rye Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups rye flour
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add brown sugar, caraway, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. Stir in rye flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape each half into a ball; place in two greased 8-in. round baking pans or ovenproof skillets. Flatten balls to a 6-in. diameter. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 126 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Caraway Seed Rye Bread
"I have made this several times now. An excellent Rye bread that rises and bakes beautifully and smells so good while it's baking!"
"Followed exactly as stated and boy I became a superstar at home and at work! Very good recipe! The bread is moist and the caraway is not overpowering."