Caraway Seed Rye Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups rye flour
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add brown sugar, caraway, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. Stir in rye flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape each half into a ball; place in two greased 8-in. round baking pans or ovenproof skillets. Flatten balls to a 6-in. diameter. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 126 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Caraway Seed Rye Bread
"Followed exactly as stated and boy I became a superstar at home and at work! Very good recipe! The bread is moist and the caraway is not overpowering."