Brooke Staley of Mary Esther, Florida likes to serve these scrumptious scones alongside corned beef hash. They make a great addition to a soup and salad luncheon, too.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, caraway
- seeds and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just
- until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Transfer dough
- to a greased baking sheet; pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight
- wedges, but do not separate. Bake at 400° for 17-22 minutes or
- until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One scone (prepared with 2% milk) equals 197 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 284 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.