Over the year, I've found that learning to cook with herbs and spices is fun and rewarding. With sauerkraut, bacon and caraway, this side dish really reflects my German heritage.—Trudi Johnson, Hixson, Tennessee
18-20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bags or jars (32 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups water
- 1 large potato, peeled and shredded
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, cook bacon and onion for 8-19 minutes or until
- onion is golden brown. Stir in sauerkraut and caraway. Add water;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours,
- stirring occasionally. Add potato. Cook for 20 minutes or until
- potato is tender. Yield: 18-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 57 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.