- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bags or jars (32 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups water
- 1 large potato, peeled and shredded
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, cook bacon and onion for 8-19 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Stir in sauerkraut and caraway. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add potato. Cook for 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Yield: 18-20 servings.
Reviews for Caraway Sauerkraut
"I like this recipe , but I love my mother's Hungarian-Germanic recipes better. This is a common dish as a side dish or condiment in our home. It is great for barbeques, pot luck dinners and church dinners. I have a better recipe! Ingredient quality and cooking method & time is important in this recipe. Caraway should be added at the end and not during the boiling process! If boiling ,gently chop seeds or rub in between handsto release essence of caraway.Lastly cook bacon and onions separately but donot overcook to golden browen... sweat the bacon which is cut in small but meaty bites and the onions use a large refrigerated yellow onion or spanish onion( best is a large ( fistsize) sweet onion seated to trtansp[arency. DON'T FORGET THIS RECIPE IS CALLING FOR A DDITIONAL COOKING/BOILING! The potato is a "rescue" item and really doesnot add alot of flavor. I do recommend a very large if not two large red bliss, new white or yukon gold, washed, peeled shredded or grated. Personally I would par-boilo potaotes of any size and add towards the endd of the boiling process, This sauerkraut recipe is great with Germa or a cold potyaote salad, bolied or roasted side dish of potatoes. An additional way to make this is to add homecanned stewed tomatoes to the sauerkraut after rinsing... but rinsing takes away from why the cabbage dish is called "sauer(sour)" kraut( cabbage)". Liked but didnot love. Have a better recipe which I would share or make variations for taste of home to test and enjoy."