Caraway Rye Rolls Recipe
The caraway and rye flavors really come through in these tender yeast rolls. A crispy golden crust and muffin shape make them an attractive addition to any meal. -Dot Christiansen, Bettendorf, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm 4% cottage cheese (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cottage cheese, sugar, eggs, caraway seeds, salt, baking soda, rye flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Gradually stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a sticky batter (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Stir dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Place in well-greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 117 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 296 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC