Caraway Rye Muffins
MY FAMILY enjoys the distinctive taste of caraway, and it abounds in these muffins, which use rye flour for a change of pace. I serve them for brunch, lunch or dinner.
I often try new recipes, but it's especially gratifying when a new dish is requested over and over again.
-Jean Tyner, Darlington, South Carolina
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and
- caraway seeds. Stir in cheese. Combine the egg, milk and oil; stir
- into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at
- 400° for 20-23 minutes or a toothpick inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a
- wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 10 muffins.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 203 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.