- 1-1/4 cups rye flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, mix the first five ingredients and 1 cup all-purpose flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in onion and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 18 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- For egg wash, in a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over rolls. Bake 11-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Caraway Rye Dinner Rolls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p34
Reviews for Caraway Rye Dinner Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review