- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water. Add molasses, butter, caraway, salt and remaining water; mix well. Combine flours; add 3 cups to batter. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into a round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for Caraway Rye Bread
Sort By :
"Made this last week! It is the best rye bread recipe I have made so far. I'm making it again today! :)"
"I mixed this in the breadmaker on the dough cycle, kneaded it and made two round loaves and baked in the oven. Because of our high altitude in Colorado, I reduced the yeast to 2 tsp. I find that most bread dough recipes in this altitude rarely need over 1-1/4 tsp of yeast per loaf. We enjoyed it sliced for dinner and also it made excellent sandwiches . . great reubens!"