Caraway Red Cabbage Recipe
"My family just loves this fresh-tasting red cabbage dish," writes Rosemarie Kondrk of Old Bridge, New Jersey. "It's low in fat, sugar and salt—and quick to prepare."
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 cups shredded red cabbage
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the water, vinegar, caraway seeds, salt and cabbage. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar substitute. Yield: 10 servings.
One serving (1/2 cup) equals 31 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC