- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides over medium-high heat; drain. In a large bowl, combine the onions, carrots, cider, caraway seeds, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast and vegetables; keep warm. Strain pan juices into a 2-cup measuring cup. Skim fat; add enough water to measure 2 cups. Return to Dutch oven. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the sour cream and remaining salt and pepper. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Caraway Pot Roast
Sort By :
We like this recipe
OMG the best pot roast ever!!
Looks delicious, thanks