Caraway Beef Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef rump roast or chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cooked potatoes and carrots, optional
- 1. In an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in oil on all sides; drain.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the hot water and bouillon; add the ketchup, onion, Worcestershire sauce, caraway, salt and pepper. Pour over roast. Add bay leaves.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until tender. Remove roast to serving platter; keep warm.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Stir into pan juices; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, adding water to thin if necessary. Discard bay leaves. Serve with cooked potatoes and carrots if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 236 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 415 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.