Caramelized Port Onions Recipe
Whenever possible use fresh rather than frozen pearl onions for this savory side. Pair the sweet and colorful onions with a savory meat entree.—Erika Szymanski, Pullman, Washington
- 2 pounds pearl onions, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup port wine or grape juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add onions; return to a boil. Boil 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; peel onions.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir 7-9 minutes or until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC