Caramelized Port Onions Recipe
Whenever possible use fresh rather than frozen pearl onions for this savory side. Pair the sweet and colorful onions with a savory meat entree.Erika Szymanski, Pullman, Washington
- 2 pounds pearl onions, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup port wine or grape juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is almost evaporated, about 25 minutes. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Port Onions in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p36
Reviews for Caramelized Port Onions(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review